Monday, June 27, 2011

His Excellency George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis



I wasn't a fan of this book. I don't like books that feel the need to nit pick at great men.

I intended to write a whole bit about the many reasons I dislike these types of histories, but I'm just not in the mood to be negative today, it's too pretty. So I'll just include one of the ideas that I really liked. It was that among his peers: Adams, Jefferson, Hamilton, Franklin, Madison and others.. among these great men, he was considered a leader.


I haven't read another book just about Washington. But, I would recommend instead..


Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer

Angel in the Whirlwind by Benson Bobrick

1 comment:

Janice said...

I've read the two you mentioned and loved them. I will not bother with His Excellency.