I love resolutions. They are part of my religion. I want so much to be a better person and to accomplish something. We've lost some family members and good friends this year. Life seems very short and I want to make it count. I love this quote by one of my heroine's Marjorie Pay Hinckley:
"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."
And, while I believe this statement with my whole heart, Majorie's hair always looked nice and mine needs attention. So hair is actually on my list.
Resolutions for 2011
1. Spend some meaningful time with every member of my family each day. Time that includes praise and encouragement.
2. Learn to cook (this is on my list every year and I'm hoping I have a better plan this year that includes a lot of googling). Have more (3-4 per week) family dinners together at home. Include more veggies in family meals. (try for 1 protein and 2 veggies at dinner).
3. Get quarterly haircuts & clean the car at least 4 times per year (pathetic, I know).
4. Set the news aside to read at least 2 worthwhile books per month. (study the New Testament)
5. Paint the master bathroom
6. Find a small way to make the world brighter everyday.
That's it. It's a short list. Yesterday I had the car detailed and today, I made a new recipe and I'm going to make a hair appointment (probably). I look like a chrysanthemum. So far, so good.
I hope 2011 will bring great blessings to you and your family and that you will find ways to make your dreams come true.