Friday, October 12, 2007

New York Calzone...


When I went to New York, I ate the most delicious calzone and I tried to recreate it when I got home. It was deceptively simple, just ricotta cheese and fresh spinach. I purchased those two ingredients at my local market and some (I'm embarrassed to say this) Rhodes bread dough. Ya, it didn't taste like the one in New York at all. I can fix a few of the things. For example, the cheese had a little salt. Oookay, that's about all I can fix. Did I mention the amazing marinara dipping sauce? Mine was from a bottle from Costco and not so fabulous. I know there's quite a few great cooks out there. I still want to make this, but it has to be really easy because I don't really cook all that much, but I also want it to taste a little better. Anyone have a great pizza dough recipe? Know of fabulous marinara in a bottle? Or any other tips?
Even considering what a disappointment this was, it was not the worst thing I've made for dinner.

7 comments:

Janice said...

I make calzones a lot at our house and this is the recipe I use. It is super easy to make. Good luck. I don't have a good tomato sauce recipe--I just use Prego.

Calzones:

Dough:
1 Tablespoon dry yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons oil
2 1/2 to 3 cups flour

Dissolve yeast and water in a bowl. Add sugar, salt and oil. Mix well. Gradually add flour to form stiff dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.

Separate dough into 4 or 6 even balls. Roll out balls into flat circles. Place calzone fillers (we like monterry jack cheese, turkey pepperoni, black olives, and sauteed mushrooms) on one half of the rolled out circles. Fold over and seal up the edges.

Put on cookie sheet and bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes (until nicely brown.)

love.boxes said...

Thanks Janice!!! I'm going to try your recipe.

allison said...

Oooh, this recipe sounds delish. My husband luh-uhves calzones and this would absolutely make his day. Thanks!

MrsEm said...

Trader Joe's sells really tasty pizza dough for $1. Also, I heard you can often buy it from your local pizza place.

love.boxes said...

Thanks Miss Em! I do have a pizza place whose crust is delish!

jess said...

I love this recipe. I also bought pizza screens from a restaurant supply place so I can get a really crispy crust.

Unknown said...

On the sauce issue, I bet Paul Newman's is delicious. I love his dressings so maybe his sauce is good too. Now you've made me hungry for calzones!