Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Esperanza Rising...


Esperanza Rising is the semi-autobiographical story of the author's family who came from Mexico to the United States as farm workers during the very difficult depression years of the 1930's. The book details Esperanza'a days of picking the different crops that must be harvested and taking care of her mother who becomes very ill and Esperanza's efforts to become educated and to maintain some kind of gracious life even while the family suffers extreme poverty.
The book covers political issues that face our country even today, while at the same time being a very personal story of the author's grandmother and inspiring in the way that so many immigrant stories are.
I love this book. It is a beautifully written tribute to the author's grandmother. I also think it is an important book, one that can open not just the eyes of children, but our own eyes to another world that exists here in our own country. I would recommend this book to children over the age of 8.

7 comments:

allison said...

Oh, I can't believe you posted about this book! I just love it! The title is what caught my attention and the story is beautiful. The Chapter Titles are cute, too. So glad you wrote about it!

salty pebble said...

hi tiffany, thank u for your sweet comment on my new blog...its sweet hearts like yourself that make me sooo love and enjoy the blogging world!!...you are a real inspiration tiffany!. love your creations...also love the sound of this book, might try to see if i can get me a copy in the u.k.

also love the pic of your table for tea....wonderful!!

x x x x kazzy xx x x x

Shauna said...

I will definitely read this with my girls. Living in South Florida, we are with people like this daily. I am constantly thinking of ways to assist them.

Vivian Love said...

I just happened upon your blog today...can't remember how I got here. Just surfing around, I guess. Thanks for sharing this book. My grandmother came to the US from Mexico in just the same way. This will be the perfect Mother's Day gift for my mother! Thanks.

Vivian Love, California

Michelle said...

And grown-ups! reccomend it to grown-ups! Loved it right down to it's lovely cover!

Diana Beck McCarty said...

Hmmm, I need a new book to read. Sounds great.

Bobbypin Bandit said...

I love that book!!! I am working towards my masters in Mexican American studies, so books like that make my day! Lovely choice.