Monday, April 09, 2007

Granny Chic.. Movie of the Week...


The Five Pennies with Danny Kay and Louis Armstrong is an amazing film that doesn't miss a beat. The music is so bright, fun and beautiful, there really ought to be a cd to go along with it. The movie is loosely based on the life of Red Nichols a brilliant cornet player who left his home in Ogden, Utah to play his dixie-land jazz all over the country. Red actually dubbed the cornet in for this film himself. Danny Kaye is an entertainer like no other. It is difficult not to watch Danny Kaye and think that we have traded actual talent for just young, thin & pretty, because you just don't see anyone like him around anymore... one the greats!

3 comments:

Lilli in Vancouver said...

I LOVE Danny Kaye. What an amazing all-around talent. I haven't seen this movie, so thanks for recommending it.

I grew up listening to an LP of DK reading Grimms fairy tales. You can imagine the great voices he put on :)

Janice said...

I LOVE Danny Kaye. I haven't seen this one in a long time. Thanks for the reminder.

Brooke said...

Thanks, I haven't seen this one either. And I'm a total Danny Kaye fan!