Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Fair Lady...

This is my favorite costume from My Fair Lady. My grandmother, who graduated in Clothing & Textiles copied this dress in white and that dress became my mother's wedding dress. She looked so much like this photo.
Anyway, it was so much fun to show this really amazing film to my daughters last weekend. They loved it.
A funny bit of trivia from the stage production...
"The musical had its pre-Broadway tryout at New Haven's Shubert Theatre. On opening night Rex Harrison, who was unaccustomed to singing in front of a live orchestra, 'announced that under no circumstances would he go on that night...with those thirty-two interlopers in the pit.' He locked himself in his dressing room and came out little more than an hour before curtain time. The whole company had been dismissed but were rounded up by the assistant stage manager. The opening night was a triumph."

2 comments:

Maria said...

I love this show! It is such a great classic and the costumes are incredible. I think Rex Harrison was lucky to get 32 musicians. Last year we did it with 20 and it was chaotic to say the least!:)

Michelle said...

One of my very favorites!