Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Crab Cooker.. Newport Beach

I was looking this place up a few weeks ago and hoping that after about 27 years, it would still be there. It was. I was so excited. This is a place that we would come to on our yearly vacations to Newport when I and my brothers and sisters were children ourselves. The cups of the best ever Manhattan Clam Chowder are still only $2.50 so I can't imagine what they cost all that time ago, but it must have been a good place to feed a lot of kids and I remember that we once had 16 children in our group so that would be a lot of kids.
It was our favorite place and we begged to go here. They have these sour dough bread balls the size of a larger marble and you are to drop them, sink them, submarine them in your chowder which we did with great enthusiasm.
I was worried about going back after all this time. Would it be a dump? Would the food be awful? Would little c think I was dumb for liking the place so much. Well, it was a little smaller than I remember, but it was charming and wonderful and better than I remembered... and little c loved it. It was so wonderful to share a favorite childhood memory with her and have her enjoy it too.
Visit HERE.

3 comments:

Janice said...

I love love love the crab cooker and eat there annually. We will be there in August.

Janice said...

Oh and we take our kids there annually like you did growing up.

Barbara Jacksier said...

I've been there. It's super! Hadn't thought about it in ages. Thanks for bringing back the memories for me, too.