Thursday, May 08, 2008

Why dieters eat celery.. 5 a day and other news..

This is why dieters eat celery. (That's a great website I think.) I've just helped myself to 3 stalks.. 30 calories. I have discovered that the whole 5 a day thing is kind of a conspiracy... the idea being that if you stuff yourself full of veggies.. there will be no room for dessert. For instance, did you know that if you buy a normal 6oz. bag of salad at the grocery store you have to eat at least half of it to count as a serving of veggies and say you just wanted to pig out on spinach.. Well, just go right on ahead.. You've pigged out, you've eaten the whole bag.. no worries it's only 40 calories. At some level I knew this, but not like I know it now. I've never tried to really stick to this 5 a day thing before.. it works you know. Running six miles a day works faster, but this works too and I'm not so sore and injury prone. At some point I hope the running will be part of it again too, but for right now I'm trying to eat my veggies.

12 comments:

Circe said...

I love veggies! My faves are the sugar-snap peas in a bag and edamame. I can't stop eating them once I start!

SSWS said...

Good girl! I agree with Circe, nothing beats steamed Edamame..or as my kids say, "special peas" with sea salt. I also love asparagus....good luck!

Michelle said...

I want all three of you to know that I just read this with a peppermint patty in my hand (and mouth)! Okay, I will go get my bag of salad out!

Janice said...

I am so with you. I am doing well on my eating changes but by the end of the day, I am SOOO done with vegies.

Anonymous said...

I actually adoooore veggies more than junk food. If you can believe it. I know from the hoopla's that go on in my world, it doesn't seem so... But, I have a pirate to eat the sweets!! I just looooove veggies!! I am with you!!!

allison said...

Plain celery? Do you dip it into peanut butter? I don't think I could eat 3 stalks of plain celery. My favorite is grilled zucchini. I eat it cold or hot, but I love the flavor of grilling.

blah said...

You are inspirational !! Looking forward to hearing how this all ends up skinny minny:-).

Me? I just get on the blog and forget to eat!!!

I know - its a worry!

Natasha Burns said...

you go girl!!! i love cucumber, I could eat tons of them one after the other especially home grown cucumber that actually has some taste in it

Jan said...

Impressive Tiffany. Maybe I'll take on a little celery. Couldn't hurt. I really do love veggies though. I make the platters for weddings. Then if I pick a little, its not the end of the world.

Have a great weekend with family and friends. Happy Mothers Day to you.

Queen Elizabeth said...

You're a better woman than I, Tiff. Although I am NOT a runner (which is just fine seeing my dad go through this knee replacement surgery), I would MUCH rather go to the gym than eat that many veggies. Yes, the first step to change is admitting the problem!

Jessica said...

As I've said before it's much harder with veg than fruit for me. And it's getting harder with all the prep work that the heads of lettuce and whole carrots take, but I keep reminding myself it's worth it. Although fruit is about to get harder, cause I don't have my wonderful clementines around anymore. Sob.

Jacquelyn Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.