Monday, April 21, 2008

Paperweights...

You may have recognized this from the montage above (montage = artistic composite of juxtaposed more or less heterogeneous elements... and I think heterogeneous means related or my banner may not be a montage... which would stink.. but either way good words right?) Anyway, I can never get a good photo of it, but I love this paperweight! I inherited it from my adopted grandmother Lydia when she passed away (I'm the one in the photo with my eyes closed.. reason 1 why I'm the photog and not the photographed at family parties!)
Anyway, I loved her. She spoiled kids. This is me, my brother and sister and the girl in front is one of her actual grandchildren I believe.. which is probably why she looks so happy! Lydia had really long silver hair that she wore in a crown like this.. she was Danish. She traveled the world and saw very interesting places and things. She had a great library. She loved Shakespeare. She was a wonderful cook and her house smelled like heaven all the time. When I was little my favorite thing she made me though was peach or orange jello with tons of fruit especially mandarin oranges and little tiny rolled up balls of cream cheese. I still love that! She collected Christmas plates (me too).
Anyway, I have a collection of glass paperweights, but this one was the first. Don't you think it's magical?

11 comments:

Jan said...

I think that the paperweight is magical, but I think your adopted grandmother is magical as well. LOVED this story. I was almost there with you. I love the picture. You look like you had a fairy tale childhood. Maybe that is where you get all that talent from. So neat that she gave you that paperweight. It is truly a treasure Tiffany. Have a great week.

Michelle said...

It is gorgeous and so are the memories attatched to it! Great picture too.

jess said...

It's very pretty...love the color!

Pocket Full of Prettys said...

Thanks for visiting my site. I love the paperweight, love the color & yes it must be magical. And what a sweet storey, thanks for sharing. Hugs***Renea

Anonymous said...

How pretty! And I love the montage on your new banner! Very lovely!

Unknown said...

very nice photo and they are priceless :) and can i give u 2 awards, an E for this excellent blog and a cute bear to a wonderful person. sorry didnt do all the linking cos i wanted to give to everyone :)

Sabina said...

Wow, what a wonderful post!! The paperweight is soooo beautiful and so are your words.

Happy Earth Day Tiffany!!

P.S.

Planting a tree in your yard is wonderful and definitely counts!!

Ms Dragonfly said...

omg, i love that heart!

noodle and lou said...

I love the paperweight and I just adore that sweet picture!!! What a special treasure Tiffany!!

xox

Elisa said...

I love that paperweight! I think that every child needs an adopted grandma! My children have one... Grandma Tender is what they call her!! They are wonderful additions to our families!

blah said...

Tiffany the fact that it was your adopted Grandma's makes it all the more beautiful :-)