Monday, March 31, 2008

Books...

I love to read history. I love to read the stories of the lives of great men and women, the founders of our nation, the reformers, the people who've made a difference. In my reading I have found that most of these people had something interesting in common... They loved books. Abraham Lincoln dreamed of having a library of his own. The first money he earned, he spent to buy a copy of Aesop's Fables and his library continued to grow throughout the rest of his life.
Books have a spirit in them. Great literature brings a spirit of greatness in to a home and gives it grace and dignity.
I practice what I preach here. I have books piled all over the floor. They are only my favorites. I am trying not to keep those that aren't my favorites. I just tell people that I decorate in late, early and modern books. My books are my friends. I love them. I often make a return visit to a great book. I don't always read it again cover to cover, but I re-read favorite passages.
I hope my daughter will be a reader. I hope that she will find wisdom and comfort in great books. I hope that she will value books above almost every material possession.
I love this quote by Winston Churchill
"If you cannot read all your books, at any rate.. peer into them, let them fall open where they will, read from the first sentence that arrests the eye, set them back on the shelves with your own hands, arrange them on your own plan so that you at least know where they are. Let them be your friends; let them be your acquaintances."
and this one by James A. Michener
"A nation becomes what its young people read in their youth."

9 comments:

Amy said...

Love this post. I love books, too! I'm so cheap, though. I don't buy many. I should start asking for nice copies of my favorites for birthdays, Christmas, Mother's Day, etc.

Anonymous said...

I loooove reading too!! But you are really really reallllly gooood at it!!!!! I need to learn from you to read more..... I used to read all the time, and now, it comes back down to, in fact "time." I looove your pansy? Is it a pansy? Either way, it is dreamy!! xo

Jan said...

You inspire me to read more. Seriously need to do that. I tend to read what I need too and get on to other things. I do enjoy it when I am in the middle of a good read too. The flower is really pretty too. Have a great week.

Circe said...

Another quote from my sister-in-law, Michelle's, blog...I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. -Anna Quindlen
I love books, too, but I love to give them away after I finish them, even if they're favorites. I do have a copy of Les Miserables, my all-time fave, that I read when I lived in Paris in 9th grade. It has good memories.

Shauna said...

Love that quote. Love Books! Scary thought... the future generation will all be wizards and witches..at best.

Michelle said...

Well, you know how I feel about books! They are my friends too. Although, I like the idea of revisiting passages. I don't do that. I do re-read books but it usually is the whole thing. I think I will grab some and let them fall open! I agree with Shauna, scary thought. I would prefer wizards and witches to a world full of Captain Underpants!

love.boxes said...

I'm OK with the witches thing.. I think.. Atleast for starters. A. It's pretty good writing B. It teaches a lot of values I believe in..

I'm actually reading through this series right now with c. I didn't read them initially. I wanted to wait until I thought she was ready. We're on book 4.. so far so good. :)

Michelle said...

Are you listening to it? The reader for Harry is really good!

Janice said...

When we built our current house, we had a BIG built-in book shelf put in the hall outside my bedroom. I thought I would never fill it up. Four years later, we have. I am such a reader it is insane but it keeps me sane. LOVE this post.