Monday, July 23, 2007

These is my Words...

This is one of the most beautiful pieces of fiction I have read in a long while. And this book captured me at about page 10 and I couldn't put it down for long after that. Sadly, I don't have much time to tell you about it... and there is much to say, but I couldn't wait and so I will leave you with two favorite quotes from the book and then you will see how wonderful it is and read it yourself. Right?

"Children are a burden to a mother, but not the way a heavy box is to a mule. Our children weigh hard on my heart, and thinking about them growing up honest and healthy, or just living to grow up at all, makes a load in my chest that is bigger than the safe at the bank, and more valuable than all the gold inside."

"... I remembered something that Blue Horse said to me back before Gilbert was born. He said that wisdom is not a path, it is a tree. At the time I was too busy to give it much thought, so I nodded politely but didn't pay much attention. Now I see that he was surely right. I have been sad almost a whole year, thinking that taking that test was somehow the end of my learning and that not having that as a possibility in my future left a big empty spot in my life that the children and the ranch didn't fill. But my life is not like that, it is a tree, and I can stay in one place and spread out in all directions, and I can do more learning shading this brood of mine than if I was all alone. I declare, it is like some other part of me made up some rules about happiness and I just went along with them without thinking."

Don't miss this one... It is one of the most beautiful love stories I have ever read.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I was needing a new book! Am reading Trigianni's newest rococco, will report later!

Shelese said...

Uh oh, I might need to buy this one too... "no more money spent at the bookstore"... after this one. :)

Shelese said...

... oh and after I buy the new Harry Potter of course!

Nancy Jo said...

I read this book, and loved it!! I have had it for a few years. Plan on reading again sometime. It was a real winner. I like boxes too, everytime I see one I'am pretty sure I need it, then I put stuff in them and can't remember what it was. keeps me busy.
NANCY JO

natalie said...

This is one of my favorite books - a great love story. I loved the quotes you posted.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including the quotes...I love the second one best...it makes so much sense. I also like your little boxes!