Tuesday, June 19, 2007

North & South...


This film has nothing to do with the Civil War, but is definitely in the spirit of period costume dramas that I adore. And, again, the BBC just does a brilliant job here. This film is based on Elizabeth Gaskell's 19th century novel of the same name; she also wrote Wives and Daughters which has a BBC production of its own.
I was especially impressed by the depth of this story which includes themes that are very relevant today. Elizabeth Gaskell was not one of the Romantic writers but has a style very similar to Charles Dickens who was born just two years after Gaskell in 1812. They were both reformers who wrote very sympathetically of those in desperate conditions.
The script in this production is tight as a drum and the acting is spot on. Don't miss this one. (available through Netflix)

7 comments:

Diane Duda said...

you're cute, too. :)

Shelese said...

E and I watched this one not too long ago as well. Boy was it good!

Michelle said...

Love period stuff!

Becca said...

This is one of my new favorite movies . . I can't wait to read the book!

Anonymous said...

I just love this film, and I loved the book, which I read years & years ago before the film was even made. Another good E. Gaskell work fantastically tranlated to film is Wives & Daughters--another must see! Thanks so much for visiting my blog the other day. You have a lovely space here, and those boxes are precious! Happy Summer Days! :o)

Anonymous said...

Watched this when it was on tv around two years ago. Fell in love with Richard Armatage straightaway, shame he hasn't done anything much since....

love.boxes said...

Tracy... love Wives and Daughters.. it's really wonderful.

Verbina... I can't believe he hasn't done anything else.. that performance was simply amazing. Is he an actor on the stage or something like that?