Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Two-Part Invention...

Though I am not a fan of fantasy or sci-fi writing, A Wrinkle in Time is among a very few exceptions for me. It seems that whatever Madeleine L'Engle chooses as a subject she fills the pages with truth. This week I am reading True At First Light by Earnest Hemingway, which I will review on Thursday. In that book Hemingway's character makes a speech that I like where he says that fiction can have more truth than non-fiction because it includes emotion and perspective.
Two-Part invention is the true story of Madeline L'Engle's marriage, but it still includes so much of emotional truth. And, it is a great love story. The book reminds me of the kind of love that you hope for, the kind of love mentioned in protestant vows that say, "for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health." We all want to be loved in every part of our life, even when we are not our best self. We want there to be someone to know us for who we really are and forgive those little annoying things, to stick with us even if the going gets tough for awhile knowing that we are greater than our weakness and faults.
In that spirit, this book is a real love story, the nitty gritty if you will, of really what we all hope for... a love that lasts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know if I ever posted before but I love your blog! Love your movie and book reviews and your boxes make me smile! Thanks!

I love Madeline L'Engle. I haven't read this one though...maybe I'll look it up at the library today!

love.boxes said...

Thanks Amanda, that means a lot! I think you'll really enjoy this book.

Janice said...

I've added this book to my "to read" list.

love.boxes said...

Janice, I am sure that list is a long one, but this book is quick read, you won't be dissapointed I think, but I would love to hear your report if you get to it. :)

Michelle said...

I love Madeline L'Engle, I haven't heard of this one, definitely on my to read list!

Tola said...

Madeleine L'Engle is one of my favourites as well. A teacher read us A Wrinkle in Time when I was in 2nd grade and I read all the others on my own. As an adult, I found her book which I believe was called A Live Coal in the Sea. Please find it and read it, it is an amazing story about forgiveness.