Monday, May 05, 2008

Band of Brothers...

For the past few weeks, c and I have been watching Band of Brothers.. just an episode a night.. it's about all a person can take.
Probably most of you have seen this already. If not, you should. I think it should be part of a basic American History education. It took me a while to see it. I knew it was going to be rough viewing. FYI this film is not rated. I don't know if it gets documentary status or why.. maybe one of you can enlighten me, but anyway if it were rated it would have a big fat R because of language and violence. This is not a film I would want c watching. She is far too young. Until a person is old enough to see the characters as actual people, which they were, and to feel that loss deeply they are too young/immature to view this film.
As I was talking with my brother about the film Saturday, he made the comment that all films about war are romanticized to some extent. It can't be helped in the sense that, it isn't your friend dying, you are not feeling the cold for months and months, you are not living in a fox hole.. that kind of thing. While there is no way to really pay the proper respect to the Veterans of WW2 through film or books or any art form for that matter, this is one of the best efforts ever made. Like my dad said to me once, if you don't see it, you won't really know the extent of the sacrifice these brave men made. I have read a lot of books about war since I was about 12, but I am a visual person and this film taught me in a way that none of the books I've read could have. If you haven't.. see it.

6 comments:

Circe said...

Off the subject, my friend listed under The Passeys on my link list is interested in reviewing a book for your book club. She's the one who recommended Peace Like a aRiver to me. Everyone loves the book club idea!

Krissy said...

That series is absolutely fantastic. I have read that it is about as accurate as can be since it was taken from the actual personal accounts of the men involved. I'm so drawn to it and the amazement of those men. I've seen it over and again!
Cheers,
Krissy

allison said...

I haven't seen any part of this series, but I really want to see it. Thanks for reminding about it. I'll bump it up on my Netflix queue.

Michelle said...

Thanks Tif, I have wondered about seeing this. I will put it on my list too. You are right about romanticizing. I think that is the only way we can stand to watch it. You are right, we all need to appreciate the sacrifice that generation made, especially since those brave men rarely talked about it.

Elisa said...

Oh! I love these movies! This movie is my all time favorite! I can't even count anymore how many times I have seen these!

I think the thing that is so brilliant with these movies, is that at the beginning of each episode,they include actual footage of interviews with the soldiers that the movies are based on. That, for me, makes each episode more "real". I too think that these should be required viewing for any highschool/college world history class.

The episode, Why We Fight, is probably my favorite. One just doesn't understand the "realness" of the whole war until you see those people in the camps. Most of the US soldiers (and the german lower soldiers) had no idea what was going on with the camps... To acutally see it first hand I think would haunt a person for the rest of your life. Don't you? I think that episode is brilliant.

I had a friend in college that was from Germany, and we had many conversations about WWII. It was so interesting to hear about it from her perspective(and her parents).

I am so glad that we have these movies--- we must never forget!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Agree. This series was fantastic.
I've been a part of the military all my life with my dad and now my DH. We as a country don't make an eighth of the sacrifices that they did during WWI or WWII.

Hope you are having a wonderful week.
Blessings,
Sandy