Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Island of the Blue Dolphins...

Cousin Blake recently recommended this book on his blog and C also mentioned that it had been one he liked as a kid, so I got it from the library on tape for little c to listen to.

Classics are usually classic for a reason and this book is no exception. I really enjoyed reading it because I just finished reading Robinson Crusoe several weeks ago and it was fun to compare the two. Little c loves historys and historical fiction and so it was a big hit. She insisted on listening to the entire book in one sitting.

My good friend Michelle first encouraged me to check out books on tape, a practice that has changed my life. I love to be able to paint, do laundry or whatever and still be reading. Some of the tapes that I have checked out from the library have had such excellent readers that it gives the book a whole new dimension. A Tale of Two Cities has long been a favorite book, but listening to it on tape last summer was an expansive experience almost like the difference between reading a Shakespeare play and seeing one performed on the stage. The actor did such an excellent job making each character a unique voice. However, the most impressive thing about listening to books on tape is the added amount of concentration and increased vocabulary that it gives to a child.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

don't you just love when you happen upon a good idea and then you share it with a friend and it works for them too? I swear it is like magic! So glad you guys are still listening too!

Jenni said...

tell C to talk this one up to J, he has a book report soon and he needs a little guidance in that area